We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post at no extra cost to you.
Etiquette and poise are critical for our girl’s confidence, self-esteem and fabulosity, it should, therefore, be made part of their life by training them early on the necessary steps needed to allow them to stand out in our world.
Etiquette according to the Webster dictionary is the conversational requirements of polite behavior; properties of conduct; good manners.
Poise means graceful and elegant bearing in a person by Oxford dictionary.
Let’s start by exploring the important properties of these meanings.
POLITE BEHAVIOUR AND GOOD MANNERS.
We need to train our girls to have polite behaviour to everyone they come in contact with. Most times we assume as a parent that since we are polite our children would also be polite. While this is possible, this is not always an innate behaviour but an acquired one. We ought to teach our girls what we want to see in them so they can be empowered to conquer their world. A polite girl is courteous, well-brought up and refined. In relation to life experiences, this is how politeness and good manners work;
- Greet others both young and old.
- Respect others and even themselves.
- Humorous without meddling with other people’s emotion.
- Having consideration for other people’s feeling.
- Choose your words carefully.
- Take turns.
- Offering help to mates when needed.
- Seeking for permission when necessary.
- Say please, thank you and excuse me.
- Respect other people’s opinion.
- Do not interrupt.
- Be kind and gentle.
- Take to corrections.
- Always speak in low tones.
- Wear a smile.
- keep the door open for the person directly after you.
- Don’t give what you cannot take.
- Always show your appreciation and gratitude.
- knock on the door and wait for a response before opening the door.
- Do not pick your nose or bite on your finger nails.
- cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- Family issues are not up for discussion with your friends.
These are some of the things we can teach our girl’s to help them to be polite to others. It is so common with the girl’s of this age to always be prompted to greet. To avoid this, start to teach them early so it can become a part of them.
GRACEFUL AND ELEGANCE
Teach them to carry their body with grace and dignity by sitting properly at all times, they either sit with the knees buckled together or one leg crossed over the other. Walk uprightly with squared shoulders, straight back and head held high. If they must chew gum, they must do so without making sounds with it or blowing it out into big bubbles. Keep their clothes neat, tidy and always look presentable. Avoid the use of foul languages or swear words. Walk smart and not sluggishly. Teach them how to take good care of their body, hair, nails and to dress appropriately, see Girls hygiene.
Table manners are the rules to adhere to while eating. We have a handful.
- Place napkin on your lap.
- Bless your food by praying over it.
- Wait for others to be served.
- Don’t talk while eating and if you must, not with your mouth full.
- Chew with your mouth closed.
- Don’t too much food into your mouth at once.
- Work with the utensils available from out to in.
- keeps your hands off the table.
- Ask for food to be passed to you.
- Don’t eat in front of the television.
- Excuse yourself when you finish eating.
- Clear up your plate and wipe the table clean.
Other etiquettes and poise we need to emphasise on are putting other people’s need before theirs. It is usually not the way of the world or the most popular place to be, but it’s the right thing to do.
In conclusion, parent’s remember we are like a mirror to our girl’s and the image we show goes a very long way in shaping or moulding them into wonderful women with a colourful and bright future. Be conscious of the way you come across to your girl’s by being an intentional parent.Our goal should be to raise girl's capable of changing the world with their well equipped up bringing. Click To TweetAsk yourself every day, HOW DO I WANT MY CHILD TO SEE ME? Your comments are vital to us, please leave a comment below.
Activate Your Girl power
Subscribe to get our latest content by email and download our special gift for you.